Students: Core Module Classes
Thinking of becoming a Florida Master Naturalist?
The Florida Master Naturalist Program (FMNP) is an adult education program developed
by the University of Florida and provided by participating organizations. FMNP training
will benefit persons interested in learning more about Florida’s environment, seeking
educational contact hours, or wishing to increase their knowledge for use in education
programs as volunteers, employees, ecotourism guides, and others.
The FMNP consists of three Core Modules– Freshwater Systems, Coastal Systems,
and Upland Systems.
Who should take FMNP classes?
- Adults (18 years of age or older) interested in learning more about Florida’s unique
- Volunteers and employees at parks, nature centers, museums, historical sites, and
any facility or organization that provides environmental education programs
- Ecotour guides who wish to enhance current programs
- Teachers and professionals who wish to acquire
educational contact hours for continuing education*
*CEUs are obtained and approved through individual school districts
How much does it cost, how long does training last, and what is included?
- The cost is $275 per FMNP Module.
- Each course provides 40 educational contact hours. Course schedules vary. The current
schedule can be viewed here.
- Each Module includes classroom learning, field trips, and practical experience in
providing interpretive information about Florida’s environment.
- Students receive detailed course manuals.
- Module graduates receive FMNP certificates, patches, and pins that denotes their
area of expertise (e.g., Wetlands Naturalist) and are listed in the FMNP student
database on our website. Students who choose to complete all three Core Modules become
certified Florida Master Naturalists and receive a plaque and pin denoting their accomplishment
and are listed in a Master Naturalist Honor Roll
database on our website.
- The FMNP does not provide university credit toward a degree-seeking program.
What are student responsibilities and how do I register?
- Students are expected to attend classes and complete group final projects. There
are no tests or final exams required for completion of FMNP Modules.
- Registration is available through
the FMNP website.